CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Jane Austen

I have never read any of Jane Austen's novels.  I realized this as I was reading this blog: Superfluities .   I love to read so I don't know why I never read this.  It is probably a crime that I haven't read anything by her. I didn't read it in school like some students do.  I remember reading Romeo & Juliet, The Great Gatsby, The Scarlet Letter, Hamlet and Vanity Fair during high school, but never Pride & Prejudice or anything else by Jane Austen.

One of my goals for 2010 is to read all of Jane Austen's novels.  So here it goes.

Step 1: Get the works of Jane Austen.  CHECK - Picked up The Complete Novels of Jane Austen at the library tonight. (Note: I will probably try to get the individual books because the 1200 pages is intimidating me and it will be less bulky. Plus I will have to renew it a few times)

Step 2: Decide what order to read them in. Here they are in order that they are in the book.
1) Sense & Sensibility
2) Pride & Prejudice
3) Mansfield Park
4) Emma
5) Northanger Abbey
6) Persuasion
7) Lady Susan

Step 3: Begin reading

Step 4: Goal Complete

Now I need some help with Step 2.  If you have read any or all of them please leave your suggestions.

3 comments:

Becca

I have read Pride and Prejudice. I started this book three times over the course of some years and never finished. I finally read it all last year while I was pregnant with Cane. I loved it. Although, it does take a little bit to get used to and understand the way they talk, but you definitely get it as you go. I need to read some more of her stuff also.

Lori

I'm not a big fan of her work - I'm more into blood and guts when I read. And actually, I like her work more when I watch a movie, because I'm very visual --- I guess I should watch the movie, then read the books :-) Good luck with your steps!! I've read S&S and P&P, just FYI...

Kelly Loy Gilbert

So, for some reason ... I can't finish one of her books. I'm not sure why. But most people I know LOVE them, so I bet you'll have many happy reading hours ahead. :)

In that same vein, though, I would HIGHLY recommend Jane Eyre if you haven't read it. Oh em gee, SO good.

Also (I would NOT recommend this, but who knows), have you heard of the book 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies'? Literally someone thought, 'I love P & P, but I would love it even more ... WITH ZOMBIES,' and like rewrote it so it's a ZOMBIE FLICK. Hahhaha. And it was on the NY Times Bestseller list!!! So ridiculous.

Post a Comment